Vanilla Pumpkin Bars


I made some yummy pumpkin bars today. Nicholas had gotten a little pumpkin when his class went to the orchard, and it was going to go to waste. So I roasted it and made my own pumpkin puree. How domestic, right? And me, still recovering from my self diagnosed h1n1, lol (seriously, I am). Anyway, it really knocked me for a loop. Well, them and the rest of the stuff I cooked today, homemade rolls, chicken and stuffing casserole, and baked butternut squash. But they are pretty good. Here is the recipe. I'm claiming it as my own. I started with a recipe of someone else's, but by the time I substituted for stuff I had on hand and changed and eliminated things I didn't like, I figured I'd be like one of those people on Allrecipes who changes a bunch of stuff in a recipe and then bitches about how it turned out crappy. Except, I am such a skilled cook that my stuff doesn't come out crappy. Anyway, without further ado.
 

Vanilla Pumpkin Bars:
1 vanilla cake mix
¼ c. vegetable oil
4 eggs
1-16 oz can solid-pack pumpkin or equivalent amount of fresh pumpkin puree
1-14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
½ tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 (325 for glass). Reserve ½ cup cake mix. In large bowl, combine remaining mix, oil, and 1 egg. Mix until crumbly. Press firmly into bottom of greased 13x9 baking pan. Combine remaining ingredients, including the ½ cup reserved cake mix. Mix well, pour over prepared crust in pan. Bake 50 minutes or until set. Cool. Cut into bars.